Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Routine Spontaneous

One of the things I dislike most in life is routine.  This is funny, because most of my best friends are type-A personality.  The people who love routine.  Opposites attract.  I need them, they need me.

I love spontaneity!  I think that's one of the things that social-media takes out of the world... spontaneity.  When I was in high school one of the funnest things to do on a Friday or Saturday night, or any night for that matter, was to drive down Pearl street or the water front.  You never knew who you were going to run into.  It was a mystery and fun.  And if you did happen to run into someone, it was exactly that, running into someone.  Filled with surprise and your heart had a chance to beat really fast and be excited at the unknown.

Now days I can see someone at my 10 year high school reunion and they say, "Oh, we already know everything that's going on with each other from Facebook.", and then they walk off.  That really happened.  And while it was true, we did know a lot about each other's lives, we hadn't seen each other face to face in 10 years.

I love taking breaks from Facebook and then seeing friends and having them tell me about something going on in their lives.  And I can be genuinely surprised or sad or happy with them because I haven't already read their story on Facebook.

ROUTINE: Regular, unvarying, habitual, unimaginative, or rote procedure


SPONTANEOUS: Natural and unconstrained; growing naturally; independent of external agencies; self-acting






No comments:

Post a Comment