Monday, January 23, 2012

Back to normal....

Last night I said to Matt, "Well, tomorrow we go back to the normal routine."  He responded, "Ya, whatever that is."  Ha!  So true.  With Christmas and Winter break, New Years, M.L.K. Jr. day and a week of snow, the past 6 weeks have been anything but normal.

But seriously, I really was anticipating that today would be the beginning of the "normal routine".  I had no idea that my day would include crawling into this truck to salvage any items that may have survived the accident.


My alarm went off at 5:45 a.m.  I wanted to hit snooze, like I often do. But the heat was on, the house was warm and I sensed the Holy Spirit saying, "GET UP!!"  So I did.  A little less that an hour later I heard my phone vibrate.  I assumed it was just a text message.  But it kept vibrating and I realized someone was calling.  It was Mom.  I answered and I could tell right away something was wrong.  I listened as she told me Dan was in a car accident.  He left a voice mail that he was probably headed for Harbor View.  But when she called they said there was not a patient by his name.  She said, "I don't know what to do! I need your help!"

Now right before she called I sensed the Lord say, "Go turn on your computer"  I questioned for a second, but I'm trying to listen more and act on what I hear.  So when she called I had my computer right in front of me, making it very fast and easy to look up and call area hospitals- Thank you Lord!

I got a prompt, "Call Harbor View again."  I called and asked if they had someone by his name.  They did! Thank you Jesus!!  I headed over to pick her up, passing a 4 car accident on the way that closed down part of Highway 16!  Not a great day for driving apparently.

When we got there he was in x-ray.  When they wheeled him in I was shocked!  No scrapes, no bruises, no cuts, no blood.  He looked... normal.  We sat and waited for results of the CT scan and x-rays and told us what he remembered about the accident.  Hitting the ice and the car spinning out of control.  Then rolling and thinking, "I'm about to meet my Maker."  The car stopped... upside down. He realized he didn't hurt but needed to get out of the car, so he kicked out the window. How very Jason Bourne of him, I joked.

By 11:30 or so the doctor came in to tell us he was free to go!  Broken bones? None.  Head injuries? None. AMAZING!!!  INCREDIBLE!!!  TRULY MIRACULOUS!!!

I keep thinking, "Maybe the accident wasn't as bad as I thought."  But the more I think about it and look at the picture of the mangled truck I realize it was as bad as I thought.  By the grace of God Dan is alive and walked away with hardly a scratch!

A normal day...not exactly.  A miraculous day...YES INDEED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment